It’s a Great Big Colorful World
Author/Illustrator: Tom Schamp
Publisher: Prestel, 2020
Here’s a wonderful new way to explore color. Readers can join Otto, a cat, and Leon, a chameleon, as they travel through a colorful and fun-fact filled world. It’s like an I Spy book has met with a kaleidoscope.
Here are a few things readers can learn:
- The biggest mammal in the world is gray.
- White is the color of the moon.
- The leader of the Tour du France always wears a yellow jersey.
- However, the Tour of Spain leader wears a red jersey.
- And the Tour of Italy leader wears a pink jersey.
- A robin’s red breast is also orange.
- Jeans may have been invented in the American west, but the wagon canvas they were made from came from Genoa (jeans) and then from Nimes (denim).
- Girl Scouts aged 7-9 are called Brownies.
Add to this all kinds of jokes and puns, oodles of silly pictures, and you’ve got a great book for entertaining kids by the hour. Going on a road trip soon? This should definitely be one of your “secret weapons.”
*Note: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.